Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Hey, man did you try the Grand Slam?

I don't know how many of you have ever eaten at Denny's. But, the family and I have twice prior to this vacation experience. Each time, we say, "Let's not do that again." Not because the food is horrible (food has to have a taste in the first place to accomplish this) or the restaurant is dirty, but because it consistently features servers who celebrate extra on April 20th.

This experience was no different. It was getting late, and we hadn't eaten dinner yet. Nothing really sounded good and we were too far from the campground to make it there, cook something and eat before the monkeys turned grumpy. We wanted something mild so what better choice? The place from where all nursing home cooks draw their recipe inspiration.

As soon as our server walked up to the table the DH and I exchanged a glance because what did we smell? The boy had been smoking, and it wasn't just a Marlboro. He took our orders, and brought us our drinks with straws. In fact, he brought a straw every time he refilled our drinks. About eight straws later (we were thirsty), he looked at the table and said, "I don't know why I keep bringing you straws." My DH goes all mellow and says, "It's alright, man." I look at him like, "Who are you?" A little later he is clearing our table and says, "Ma'am didn't you like your yogurt?" The thing is, it was all gone. I looked at the server and said, "Yes, I liked it." Then he looked again and said, "I must be trippin', sorry." I thought to myself, "Really? Hadn't noticed that."

As we were leaving I couldn't help thinking that Dazed and Confused probably got their extras from having open call auditions in the parking lot of the three Denny's we have been to. If they didn't, they should have.

1 comment:

  1. Teacher from the GhettoJune 22, 2010 at 9:49 PM

    Dazed and Confused is an excellent movie. Nothing better than looking at Matthew in extremely tight pink pants. "Hey watch the leather mannnnnn." But seriously, this post made me laugh out loud. Thanks, I needed that today. :)

    ReplyDelete