Sunday, January 16, 2011

My heart is breaking

Last night I had the pleasure of accompanying the Cubscout to a skating party at the local roller rink.  I think he was a little nervous about it (evidenced by his repeated checking of the invitation for the correct time and date).  The party was for a girl, after all.  Prior to the party we stopped off at Wal-Mart for a gift that, "Will not make her think I like like her."  A craft set was settled on, and then both monkeys went to get haircuts.  At the end of the trim, the stylist asked the Cubscout if he wanted gel or not.  At first, he started to say no, but then stage whispered, "I better get some to make my hair spiked because of the party." I said, "Right," even though it made me cry a little on the inside to think my baby was considering what would make him cooler to his friends.

Watching a primary skating party is kind of funny because there are very few of the kiddos who can actually skate at first.  My son was no exception.  For about the first hour, he along with most of the others, skated along the wall (skating is kind of a strong verb...clinging while rolling is more like it).  About halfway through the party, he started to get the hang of it and rolled past me nodding his head (can't get too wild with the dance moves when you have wheels attached to your shoes) to Party in the USA (you're welcome, if you just started singing that in your head).  When it was time to open gifts (the craft set was a hit), I noticed that he was the only boy from the class who came to the party.  There was a bit of a commotion about who got to sit by him for cake.  He was totally eating it up (all the while looking a little embarrassed that his mom was there).  Again crying (I'm just glad I controlled the actual tears).

After the party, his dad and sister came to get us so we could eat.  The Cubscout told my DH all about the party and how he was the only boy.  My DH looked at him and said, "I only have one thing to say...play on playa."  Then he high fived him.  Oh dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment