Friday, April 29, 2011

Tell me how you really feel

As is tradition in my class, we had Freewrite Friday today.  We took a much needed (much, much) break from revising, editing, and publishing our tall tales to write what was on our mind in the format of a poem, story or song.  The writing turned out quite nice (if I do say so myself), but my young friends did not really stray too far from their comfort zones.  There were a few acrostics about kittens and tales of defeating the latest Lego Star Wars game.  But then, we came to one of my brutally honest friends.  I love this child because everyone knows exactly where they stand with her at all times, and she not only gets sarcasm, but also uses it regularly.  Today was one of those days. 

Her freewrite piece was titled, "Almost Done." (or something similar).  In it she joyfully wrote all the things that would soon be over as we come closer and closer to summer.  In the middle of her poem she wrote, "NO MORE READ TO SELF!" right after "NO MORE REGROUPING!"

I get the feeling that Daily 5 has lost its luster/"urgency" (evidenced by the all caps and the general "let's see if she notices that I'm not reading" attitude taken on by more than one of my once eager readers).  The silver lining?  At least she didn't put "NO MORE FRAU M." in her poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment