Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I remember this feeling,

the feeling of total overwhelmsies and exhaustion all in one. So this is my third contract day this year and I am beat (I don't even have students, yet). I have so much to do...so much. Today will be spent in the great big all district meeting (think pep rally for teachers followed by, "This is what sexual harassment is, so please just don't.")


Yesterday was spent in our annual school "stuff meeting" (I called it that because of all the things we received to file). At the conference I attended in early August, one of the presenters said something like, "In a few weeks you won't be able to see the forest for the trees." I think she might have meant we wouldn't be able to see the forest because we killed it with all the papers that are necessary to start a school year. At the end of the meeting, our principal did something that she doesn't usually do (she's got a wicked sense of humor) and played a touching video about the story of the kid who throws the starfish one by one back in the water. You may have seen it. Then she gave us each a starfish to remind us that we can make a difference even if it is for just one.


Fast forward to last night. I am meeting and greeting all the families in my class (I think that I might just have the elusive awesome class). After they were all gone, one of my former students came by just to say hi. She is going into eighth grade. She hugged me and told me that I was still her favorite teacher. It almost made me cry when Creative Genius across the hall asked me if she was one of my starfish. And that is why I love this job (most of the time).

No comments:

Post a Comment