Friday, November 12, 2010

I am fully aware

that I am not as young as I once was.  But usually, I ignore this fact and kind of have a little fun at my colleagues' expenses (my teammates are all older than me).  In fact in a team meeting, I was talking about a great phonics book I found to use with my phonics intervention friends.  It was Copyrighted 1978 and I said, "This is probably something ReallyGreatPrincipal used when she was in school." because she is just a little older than me.  At lunch one day, the Creative Genius across the hall was talking about her 35th class reunion.  I asked, "Do you know what I was doing in 1975?  Being born."  Well, as they say, "Turn about is fair play," because today, my smartmouthed bottom was handed to me.

We were enjoying (by enjoying, I mean inhaling) our lunches when Creative Genius stopped and introduced us to the college girl doing her initial observations for Foundations of Education in her room.  We all said, "Hello and I'm sorry this is your chosen career path."  I felt that she was staring a little at me (which she was).  Then she asked, "Did you ever teach at Little Town School?"  Immediately, I went flying through my mind files and was coming up blank.  I answered, "Yes, that was my first teaching job.  Were you one of my students and I just can't place your face?"  She totally dropped the "old" bomb on me when she answered, "No, I was a lot younger.  You had my big brother."  The whole lounge erupted in laughter (I think Creative Genius said something like, "FINALLY!") while my face turned eighteen shades of red (including but not limited to fuchsia and rose). 

So, the silver lining in all of this is that even though it was 12 years ago, I haven't aged so much that she didn't recognize me at all. At least that's what I'm going to tell myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment