Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Separation anxiety

This semester, I have a student teacher in my class.  It is much, much harder than I thought it was going to be for me.  At first, before the semester started, I was all like, "Student teacher?  Sure!  It will be super fun!  I will be an awesome mentor and it will totally look good on my resume'"  Now, I just miss my class.  I even waited to give up all the subjects until this week (I realize it was two weeks late...I just couldn't do it).  I feel a bit worthless right now.  I'm at school, but I'm not teaching (just so you don't think I'm a total slacker, I am working with our librarian pretty much all day...I love me some Dewey).  One of my young friends even asked me, "Where do you go when you leave us all day?"  Oh the guilt.  That made me have flashbacks of leaving the Cubscout at preschool for the first few times (before he realized/believed me that school was "fun").  Apparently, I enjoy my job.  A lot.  And it's hard for me to share. 

1 comment:

  1. It's funny how systems differ from state to state. I student taught in Mississippi, and the teacher isn't legally allowed to leave the student teacher with children unattended! The student teacher does much more in the way of watching, observing, and then gradually taking over one subject at a time. Hang in there- good luck!

    http://teachinghappilyeverafter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete