Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My teacher voice

doesn't come out very often during the summer.  Now the "Good golly, Mom. is. mean." voice...that's another story.  But the voice reserved for serious situations rarely makes an appearance during June, July or August.  I think we all have one, so you know what I mean.  Mine, in particular can reduce people to tears without changing any decibels.  There's an intensity and a look that says, "Don't question what this woman is saying."  I had to use it today...at the eye doctor.  Yes, the eye doctor.

It all started when the Bear was called to get his preliminary screening done.  After about 3 minutes, the assistant came and got me and said all snotty, "You are going to have to hold his head still."  It seems she was having trouble getting the glaucoma screen done (I hate that puff of air, too).  So I held his head gently while she did the first eye.  Then, it was time for the other.  He was having trouble with keeping his eye open in anticipation of the puff of air.  The assistant said, "Come on.  I have little girls who are younger than you do this all the time just fine."  My blood was already on slowburn and that didn't help.  I asked, "Can we just scrap the other eye?"  She said his reading was a little elevated.  Then she said, "If he is going to throw a fit about it then, no we don't have to do the other eye."  That's when the voice came out.  My son was not crying.  He couldn't do the other eye.  It was too much.  I said, "Hold on.  What you just said was totally unacceptable and unprofessional.  So I think we are through here, and I would like to request a different assistant."  She didn't even argue (because I was right!) and a different assistant came in.  Lo and behold, she has kids and the Bear did the test for her...no problem.  Speaking up in defense of the monkeys is what I felt I had to do, but it was good to know for sure I didn't go soft during my days of leisure.

No comments:

Post a Comment