Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My last first day

of sending a child to kindergarten was today. I felt it looming all summer long as friends asked me repeatedly (in light of policy changes), "Are your kids really going to your hometown school instead of ours?" and I replied, "I think it's better to send them to their home district." In my heart I know it is better for the monkeys (even though it is hard for me). There is not a chance that class sizes will force them to move to a new school after attending mine for their whole school careers. Our home district consistently meets AYP. Class sizes max out at 20. It is a good school district. So today, I played the role of just another mom crying in her car.


I got the kids ready and fed, then went out to wait for the 7:18 bus (not 7:15 nor 7:20). I put them on and took a picture (thanks Mr. Bus Driver for making turn around and wave). I tried to follow the bus (because I am that mom), but ended up losing it (there goes my FBI job backup plan), so I went to the school parking lot to watch and be sure they made it to school (they did of course). On one hand, it was kind of nice to be able to cry about my daughter starting kindergarten and my son starting a new school in private. On the other hand I probably could have used a few more hugs from my friends (thanks for the phone hug, BFF). Apparently, I was the only one who was sad today because when the bus returned the monkeys, they both had a little swagger in their steps (especially the kindergartner).

1 comment: