Sunday, September 11, 2011

I remember

ten years ago today more vividly than most days.  My class and I were in the middle of DOL when the other teacher at my grade level showed up at my door with sheer panic in her eyes.  I went out to the hall to ask what was wrong, and she just blurted, "Terrorists have attacked the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon."  I remember standing there not quite understanding the magnitude of what she was saying because I hadn't seen the news report and then asking her if her ex husband was ok (he was stationed at the Pentagon and it turned out that he was fine).  I was visibly upset when I returned to my room, and later when I read the "official statement" from the office I cried.  And today, watching the ceremony at Ground Zero I went back to my feelings that day.  It was hard, senseless, and something I won't ever forget.  Not because I can't forget it, but because I don't want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment