Friday, December 9, 2011

Rudolph is in my social skills group?

Like teaching anything else, there are a ton of strategies and options when it comes to presenting a lesson.  One of these is role playing.  We have been working tirelessly on being flexible in our thinking.  It is one of the Super Skills, and so very important to life.  You and I have it (clearly, or we wouldn't be teachers now would we?).  Sudden changes are super hard for students who are on the Spectrum.  Like, catastrophic.  Our culminating project for this skill (as well as cooperation, kind talk, being a good listener) is to present a puppet show to another class.  So here's what we (with a lot of guidance wrote).  If you want to copy and paste it, feel free (I'm all about helping a co-teacher out).

North Pole Flexibility

Rudolph:  I am so excited to pull Santa's sleigh tonight.  I get to be behind Dancer and Prancer!

Santa:  Rudolph, it is so foggy, and your nose is so bright.  You should be in front so we can see where we're going.

Rudolph:  SANTA!  I'm too scared, and YOU SAID I would be behind Dancer and Prancer!!!!!

Santa:  Do you remember your steps to success for being flexible?

Rudolph:  I can't even think!  I'm too upset!  What are they?

Santa:  Stop and take a deep breath, let it go.  Now think what's happening and make a plan.

Rudolph:  (Takes a deep breath) OK, you need my help.  I will try being in front.

Santa:  GREAT JOB!  You are really using your steps.  And now, we can deliver the presents.

It takes a lot of rehearsing and scenarios to really generalize this, but as I said yesterday.  It's a process, not an event.

No comments:

Post a Comment