Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Electrical Fire?

Sorry kids (and hopeful adults in my building), no fire evacuation for you today, it was just the stench put off by the oven in my classroom.  Once a month, the teacher down the way brings her life skills class over to my room to make birthday cupcakes for her class.  Why my room, you ask?  Because my classroom is the FACS turned Autism Resource classroom.  Yes, I still have all the cabinets.  Yes, I still have 4 mini kitchens.  Yes, I still have two stoves (only one is hooked to electricity, though).  Yes, there is a tremendous amount of wasted space.  There are pluses and minuses to this classroom.  The major minus to me is the stove.  My principal has thanked me for being flexible with its use, but when it is used boy oh boy does it stink.  So, I put on my friendly face and allow for it to be used for baking.  My direct supervisor has talked to the office about the odor and the overstimulation it causes, but as far as I knew no one had noticed other than my guys.  So today, after the cupcakes came out of the oven (we pulled them early before they could burn to a crisp) imagine my surprise when the janitor and two administrators came into the room to check and see if something was burning.  They asked me if it always made "that smell" to which I replied, "Yes, it does." They seemed surprised about how much it stinks and my vice-principal said, "We'll see if we can do something about that."  I don't know exactly what that means, but I'm hoping it means an edict that there will be no more baking for the remainder of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment