Saturday, January 28, 2012

Hard lessons

My church had a interim pastor for about a year.  He was a great teacher, and I probably learned more that I had for the longest time.  One of the best messages he gave was about dealing with when your feelings are hurt by someone.  There are three things you shouldn't do when you get your feelings hurt.
  1. Don't curse it (the person who hurt your feelings)
  2. Don't rehearse it (retell the story of how you have been wronged umpteen times)
  3. Don't nurse it (feel sorry for yourself about how you were treated unfairly)
As I was sitting there, I was thinking, "Well that's so not even me, because I just don't care what people think."  Ha.  The VERY next day someone did something that hurt me very badly, and it took all summer long for me to get to the place where I could even be in the same room with her.  We did finally have a conversation and I apologized for harboring a grudge and the things I had said (believe you me, it was NO picnic for this proud girl).

A while back, I was handed a big disappointment.  Big.  I was much more upset about it than I let on to anyone (must maintain laissez-faire attitude at all costs).  I had to revisit my notes from that message because I was having trouble letting go of it and having a good attitude even though my head knew the decision was a blessing in disguise.  It took quite a few prayerful commutes to get to where I am right now.  The place where I know the right decision was made.  Because really, praying for God's will just as long as it is the same as yours isn't how it works.  

No comments:

Post a Comment